2023 June Recital Details
Below you will find recital details, schedules, links, and more! We will continue to update this page as we get closer to the performance.
2023 June Recital
DATE: Sunday, June 11th, 2023
LOCATION: Norfolk Collegiate School, Hackney Theatre
7336 Granby St, Norfolk, VA 23505
view map HERE
Show A at 1:00 pm
Show B at 3:30 pm
Show C at 6:00 pm
*Most students will perform in just 1 show, Company students will perform in every show.
There is no limit on ticket purchases for the 2023 Season Recital.
Tickets are not included in the recital fee this year. We hope this will make the ticket buying seamless and efficient for all families. We LOVE our recital ticketing service, which is super easy to use!
Tickets for all shows to Music in Motion In Concert 2023 go on sale on April 25th.
Adult Standard Ticket: $22 each
Student / Senior Standard Ticket: $15 each
We are offering access to “Premium” Tickets which are the first 5 Rows of the Theater; Rows C-F
Adult Premium Ticket (first 5 rows): $32
Student / Senior Premium Ticket (first 5 rows): $25
Streaming Ticket: $20 per show –
applicable to an entire household, not per person.
Discounts are applied automatically for purchases of tickets to multiple shows.
Music in Motion is charging a per dancer fee that will go towards ensuring a smooth and memorable recital for our families and students. An easy explanation is that monthly tuition covers classes – whereas recital fee covers the 2-day, all day event from theater to security to staff to technical capabilities. This fee includes many automatic perks for the recital! The fee is based on the number of classes your family is taking.
Due: March 15th, 2023
Auto-Debit Scheduled for Auto-Pay Accounts.
Recital Fee Perks for every Music in Motion Family
Digital Concert Video & Photography
Will be held at Music in Motion Dance Studio on
The Week of May 15th – May 20th
We are so excited to offer individual (must be scheduled) and class photo photography every year with an amazing local portrait photographer. Dance and activity photos are a worthwhile memory and create keepsakes that will last a lifetime!
Each “Class Day” will be a showcase for the other students to watch their classmate’s recital dances and practice in front of an audience, followed by class photos. Individual photos must be scheduled separately. You should anticipate arriving to the studio on your student’s regular class days (IE if you take jazz on Mondays, your showcase and photo day is Monday) however, the TIME of class is different. **See the daily photo schedule on the next pages.
Daily Photo Week Schedule
Monday May 15th from 5:30-7 pm
Acro ½, Discover Dance, Hip Hop 1, Tap 5, Boys HH/Acro, Ballet Technique, Teen Hip Hop, Intermediate Acro, Conga, Wind Song, Teen Solos
Tuesday May 16th 5:30-7 pm
Jazz/Hip Hop/Tumble, Ballet/Tap, Move & Groove, Musical Theater, Ballet 3, Pre-Pointe/Pointe 1, Junior Acro, Ballet Tech, Jazz 3, Hip Hop 2, Pointe 2/3,
Wednesday May 17th from 5:30-7 pm
Creative Movement, Mom & Me Hip Hop, Youth Boys Hip Hop, Jr/Teen Modern, Lyrical 4, Jr/Teen Jazz, Jazz 4, Jazz 1, Jr/Teen Tap
Thursday May 18th from 5:30-7 pm
Tumble/Ballet/Tap, Lyrical 1, Jazz 5, Contemporary 5, Jr. Ballet, Ballet 1, Tap 1, Junior Lyrical, Junior Team Jazz, Courage, Teen Duets, Junior Team Duets/Solos
Individual Photo Portraits
Photos of your dancer individually in their costumes are NOT included in costume photo week and must be scheduled and purchased separately.
Sunday May 20th from 10 am to 5 pm
To give students as much stage time as possible and maximize audience space, we have divided our classes into separate concerts. Our dancers love to perform their routines and show off their hard work, and we are thrilled to be able to offer more seating and ticket opportunities by dividing our concert into groups.
RECITAL DAY, Sunday June 11th
Show A at 1 pm:
ARRIVE to the Theater at 12 noon
Creative Movement, Discover Dance, Jazz/HH/Tumble, Tumble/Ballet/Tap, Move & Groove, Acro 1, Hip-Hop 1, Jazz 1, Lyrical 1, Ballet 1, Tap 1, Youth Boys HH/Tumble, Company Production, Mini-Team Jazz, Junior Team Jazz
Show B at 3:30 pm:
ARRIVE at 2:30 pm
Musical Theater, Junior Acro, Junior Hip-Hop, Junior Ballet, Junior/Teen Modern, Junior/Teen Jazz, Junior/Teen Tap, Boys Hip-Hop, Teen Acro, Hip-Hop Team, Company Production, Conga
Show C at 6 pm:
ARRIVE at 5 pm
Ballet 3, Pre-Pointe/Pointe 1, Tap 5, Ballet Technique (T), Lyrical 4, Jazz 4, Jazz 5, Contemporary 5, Teen Hip-Hop
Dress rehearsal is MANDATORY for all students participating in the recital and takes place at the theater, not the studio
Saturday, June 10th
Norfolk Collegiate School, Hackney Theater
7336 Granby St, Norfolk, VA 23505
view map HERE
Dress Rehearsal will start at 8:30am and will operate in time blocks by age. See the schedule below:
Pre-School and KinderDance Classes (Show A)
Arrival: 8:30 am
Dress Rehearsal: 9 - 10 am
Level 1 Classes & Youth Boys Hip-Hop (Show A)
Arrival: 9:30 am
Dress Rehearsal: 10 – 11:15 am
Junior / Teen Level Classes (Show B)
Arrival: 10:45 am
Dress Rehearsal: 11:15-12:30
Level 4 and 5 Classes (Show C)
Arrival: 1 pm
Dress Rehearsal 1:30-3 pm
Dress Rehearsal gives the stars of our show (your children) a chance to get up and rehearse on the big stage – a very different environment than they are used to within the studio walls. Students will overcome some of the jitters that may hit when the bright lights come on and prepare themselves for the show ahead. It is a fun and rewarding experience and a great chance to enjoy time with their friends and watch some inspiring dancers as they wait for their turn in the spotlight.
Dress and technical rehearsals are an extremely important part of preparing for our concert and absences are not allowed.
Arriving at the Venue:
All parents and students must enter through the main lobby doors. All students must be signed in by a parent or guardian.
- Pre-School / KinderDance / Level 1 Dancers: Check In Table is to the RIGHT of the lobby in front of the Gallery Dressing Room Doors.
- Junior Level and Up Dancers: Check In table is to the LEFT of the lobby at the left-hand hallway in front of the double back-stage doors.
- Check-In: Dancers will be checked in by Music in Motion staff upon arrival. Parents are allowed backstage for 10 minutes to settle their children only if necessary, drop-off is preferred. Parents MUST clear from the backstage area after drop-off. There is simply not enough room for additional people other than volunteers.
ALL Students should arrive with make-up done, hair completed and tights/undergarments on. Pre-school and kindergarten students should arrive with costume ON. Students in multiple classes and in level 1 and above should arrive in regular clothes and bring all costumes and accessories in their garment bag to change at the venue. There are no “private” changing areas. Students should bring a large men’s T-Shirt or button up shirt if they would like to change underneath of something.
Leaving The Venue:
- No students may be picked up from the dressing room until the COMPLETION of the show. This includes intermission.
- At the completion of each show, all students will gather on stage for a final bow, final group dance and group photo.
- Dancers will REMAIN on stage and be released via visual check out of parents from the stage.
- Please EXIT the auditorium and send in ONE guardian to pick up your student belongings from the dressing room. Please do not ask your child to meet you outside the venue or in the parking lot as a parent must be seen. If someone else is picking your child up, that person needs to have a permission note to show they are allowed to pick-up your child.
Where to Pick-Up: Parents should remain in the auditorium to pick-up their students. We will bring all students to the stage and call parents up by name so we can do a visual check-out. Students will not be released from the dressing room. Parents may return to the dressing room to collect students’ belongings before leaving. We recommend that dancers bring an outfit to wear for after the show festivities or for pictures!
- Only Music in Motion Dance Studio staff and registered helpers are permitted backstage. We are unable to run messages or food to students, so please make sure they have everything before they come backstage for rehearsal and the concert. Only parents of students 6 and under are allowed backstage to get their children settled for no longer than 10 minutes.
- Please try not to bring anything valuable, especially electronic devices. We do not recommend electronic devices other than a phone in the dressing areas during the concert. Our studio and the venue will take no responsibility if an item is damaged, misplaced, lost, or stolen.
- If your child has any medical conditions or allergies that may require attention while in our care, or they are carrying any medication with them, please notify our supervisors.
In the Audience:
- Private videography and photography are strictly prohibited. Professionals will be filming and taking photos which is included in your recital fee. This will leave you free to sit back and enjoy the show in the moment! Additionally, flash photography and videography is distracting to your fellow audience members and dangerous to dancers on stage.
- This is a family show! Explicit language, inappropriate attire, offensive clothing, and criminal behavior will not be tolerated. Consuming alcohol and smoking are not permitted anywhere in the building or on the grounds.
We plan to offer a full-color keepsake program for our 2022 Recital and want to fill it with amazing photos, messages of congratulations and feature local and family businesses.
On Sale Date: March 1st
Deadline for All Submissions: April 15th
Submit your Shoutout or Business ad HERE
Program Ad Pricing for Business and Families
Full Page (2 photos, up to 200 characters) ($95)
½ Page (1 photo, up to 150 characters) ($75)
¼ Page (1 photo, up to 100 characters) ($45)
1/5 page (1 photo, up to 80 characters ($35)
*You must provide the image(s)! We will reach out to you for them!*
This year Music in Motion Dance Studio will be honoring our long-time, loyal dancers and dance families with a Pin Ceremony on stage before the show! All dancers with 3, 5, and 10 years with MIM will receive a gift of a pin for your dance bag, jacket, or pin board. Thanks so much for being a part of the Music in Motion Dance Family!
Here is our list of amazing Recital Keepsakes to ensure your dancer has an amazing day worthy of celebration!
Recital Stuffy’s: $18 each
Recital Stuffy with Single Rose: $22 each
Single Rose: $6.50 each
Medium “Purple” Flower Bouquets: $18 each
Half-Dozen Red Roses Bouquet: $22 each
Music in Motion Logo Crocs Charm: $5 each
Practicing at home is always encouraged! Our team will add music files and videos as we get closer to the performance. Recital videos coming in February!
Appendix A: Packing List
Not all students will need all these items.
- Make-Up Kit:
- Eyelashes, glue, tweezers
- Mascara, liquid eyeliner, brown, gray eyeshadow
- Liquid foundation, powder, setting powder or spray
- Pink Blush and Berry Lipstick, clear gloss
- Cotton balls, q-tips, make-up remover pads or liquid
- Brushes and sponges
- Hair Kit:
- Elastics in your hair color
- Large Bobby pins and small bobby pins in your hair color
- Brush and comb
- Hairspray and Hair gel
- Manicure kit including files, clippers and mini-scissors
- Clear nail polish
- Extra tights
- Deodorant / body spray
- PHONE CHARGER
- Homework / book (for long days)
- Performance Needs
- Performance jazz and/or lyrical shoes
- TAN hi-cut thong performance underwear.
- Rehearsal/extra jazz or lyrical shoes
- Warm-Ups (sweatpants, sweatshirt, fuzzy socks, dance slippers)
- Rehearsal dance gear (black leotard / tank top and black leggings)
Dancers and families are expected to always conduct themselves in a respectful and professional manner representative of the amazing, well-trained dance artists that they are.
Backstage and Onstage:
- Absolutely no talking ever while backstage
- Be still, quiet, and thoughtful while waiting for your turn in the wings. Do not goof off or play.
- Say hello and thank you to theater staff
- Say hello, good job and love your costume to fellow dancers.
- NEVER judge, comment, or talk negatively about other dancers.
In The Dressing Room:
- Keep your area organized and neat, do not spread out and take up too much space.
- Do not change in the bathroom, private dressing areas are unlikely to be available, so be prepared to change in the dressing room.
- Tell a teacher if you leave the area.
- Keep your emotions about your performance positive – we worked hard, and it will show!
In the Audience:
- Absolutely no talking while in the audience.
- Turn phones off or on silent. Using a phone in the audience will distract fellow audience members with the glowing light, block the view and poses a danger to the dancers on stage with distracting lights.
- Be aware of your surroundings and your fellow audience members, be respectful. Your dancer may not be performing, but the person next to you dancer may be. They want to enjoy their dancer’s performance!
- CHEER AND CLAP for Music in Motion as dancers walk onto stage and at the end of their dance!
- Clap or cheer during a particularly special or challenging part of a dance but keep cheering and clapping WHILE a dancer is performing to a minimum.
- Only enter and exit the theater at intermission or the beginning or end of a concert. Never walk to a seat or leave a seat if a dancer or group is on stage. If you must leave the theatre during the concert, wait until between dances.
ADDRESS 629 N. Lynnhaven Rd.
Virginia Beach VA 23452 view map
Join Our Mailing List
Thanks for subscribing! Please check your email to confirm your subscription. We look forward to getting to know your family!
-Music in Motion