Below you will find the Holiday Showcase details, schedules, links, and more! We will continue to update this page as we get closer to the performance.
2023 Holiday Showcase Details
2023 Holiday Showcase
DATE: Thursday, December 21st, 2023
Zeiders American Dream Theatre
4509 Commerce Street
Virginia Beach, VA 23462
Dancers Arrive at: 4:30 to 5 pm
Show Start Time: 5:30 pm
Dancers MUST arrive at: 6:30 to 6:45 pm Show Start Time: 7 pm
The team at Music in Motion has put in countless hours preparing a special concert experience that will not only be memorable but also the perfect family activity.
Each participating family receives TWO tickets to the concert in which your dancers have been cast. You can claim your tickets starting on 11/27 online using our Dance Recital Ticketing Site.
- Check your email on Monday 11/27 for a 4 digit code from no-reply@
- The subject line of the email will be "Music in Motion Dance Studio - Coupon Code for Upcoming Shows"
- The ticket code for example will look like: @vDy - the code is case sensitive.
- Head to our Ticketing Site: https://27937.
Additional tickets beyond the 2 allotted family tickets for all performances of “The Snowflake Soiree” will go on sale Friday, December 1st at 8 am. Additional Tickets are limited to just 2 per order due to the intimate size of the theater.
Standard Ticket: $11 each
Save $4 per ticket with the code “MULTISHOW23” when purchasing tickets to Show A and Show B together.
*Casts Are Subject to Change. This is ALSO the show order.
Show A at 5:30 pm
Senior Level Classes and all Pre-School and Kinderdance Classes
Rockin’ Around Opening Number
Move & Groove
Youth Boys Hip-Hop
Show B at 7:00 pm
Level 1, Junior/Teen and Senior Classes
Rockin’ Around Opening Number
Elementary Musical Theatre
Teen Musical Theatre
Dress rehearsal is MANDATORY for all students participating in the Holiday Showcase and takes place at Music in Motion.
Wednesday, December 20th at Music in Motion
See the schedule below:
Show A Arrival: 5:15 pm
Show A Dress Rehearsal: 5:30-6:30 pm
Show B Arrival: 6:30 pm
Show B Dress Rehearsal: 6:45-8:15 pm
Students will be allowed to leave as soon as they are done practicing their piece. Parents can wait in the lobby or their car (as the studio will be filled with dancers). Dancers are also welcome to stay the whole time to watch the other dancers and be picked up at the end time.
Dress rehearsals are an extremely important part of preparing for our Showcase. Dress Rehearsal gives the stars of our show (your children) a chance to get up and rehearse wearing their costume and in front of other students – a very different environment than they are used to in class.
Rehearsals are where we work on timing and details of the concert and fix any mistakes with costume, music, and lighting. It is a fun and rewarding experience and a great chance to enjoy time with their friends and watch some inspiring dancers as they wait for their turn in the spotlight. We intend to present the highest quality finished product in a manner that will leave students feeling comfortable and most importantly, proud.
Please note, this rehearsal takes place at the STUDIO and NOT at the theatre. Dress rehearsal is in full costume and hair, no make-up is needed for Dress Rehearsal.
Arriving at the Venue:
- Town Center offers plenty of FREE parking both on the street or in multiple garages. Check our Parking Map to see the closest parking garages to the theater.
- The entrance to the Zeiders American Dream Theatre is located on the second level at the corner of Commerce St. and Market St. There is a large staircase, or an accessible elevator.
- All parents and students must enter through the main lobby doors. All students must be signed in by a parent or guardian.
- We will check your student in upon arrival and scan your tickets at the check in table just inside the door.
- Students will be taken to the backstage area to be organized into classes before the show begins.
- Students will get to sit in the Audience “on deck” in preparation for their chance to take the stage.
- Wednesday Pre-Ballet Students will sit in the audience with their parents.
- Students in 1 dance should not bring any belongings backstage – please keep dance-bags and personal items with the parent. We will dismiss students from stage.
ALL Students should arrive with make-up done, hair completed and tights/undergarments on. All students should arrive with their costume or first dance costume ON. There will be a group dressing room with changing pods as well as 2 private dressing areas. We recommend nude leotards for all dancers to wear under their costumes and/or a large men’s T-Shirt to change under. You can order Nude Leotards to use at all your dancers’ performances over the years from Music in Motion for $25 or you can visit the dancewear store Jete to shop.
Pre / Post Show Activities:
- Check out the many dining options when attending a show at The Z. From pre-show dinners to post show cocktails and desserts here: WHERE TO EAT
- Drinks, snacks, and cocktails will also be served at the theatre’s in-house bar!
- Don’t forget to spend some extra time exploring the Snow Globe spectacular in Town Centre’s Fountain square. One of a kind, amazing snow globes filled with artistic, unique, creative, and Theatrical Christmas scenes. A tribute to our city, our community, and the season! Music in Motion is thrilled to join the Virginia Beach community in the celebration of the holiday season at the Town Center!
In the Audience: Personal videography and photography are allowed. Please be sure to tag @musicinmotionva on Instagram and Music in Motion Dance Studio on Facebook.
Where to Pick-Up: Parents should remain in the auditorium to pick-up their students. We will bring all students to the stage and call parents up by name so we can do a visual check-out. Students will not be released from the dressing room. Parents may return to the dressing room to collect students’ belongings before leaving. We recommend that dancers bring an outfit to wear for after the show festivities or for pictures!
- Only Music in Motion Dance Studio staff and registered helpers are permitted backstage. We are looking for helpers to stay backstage with our youth dancers in show A.
- Please try not to bring anything valuable, especially electronic devices. We do not recommend electronic devices other than a phone in the dressing areas during the concert. Our studio and the venue will take no responsibility if an item is damaged, misplaced, lost, or stolen.
- If your child has any medical conditions or allergies that may require attention while in our care, or they are carrying any medication with them, please notify our supervisors ahead of time. We post important medical and other information for all staff to be aware.
Appendix A: Packing List
Not all students will need all these items.
- Make-Up Kit:
- Eyelashes, glue, tweezers
- Mascara, liquid eyeliner, brown, gray eyeshadow
- Liquid foundation, powder, setting powder or spray
- Pink Blush and Berry Lipstick, clear gloss
- Cotton balls, q-tips, make-up remover pads or liquid
- Brushes and sponges
- Hair Kit:
- Elastics in your hair color
- Large Bobby pins and small bobby pins in your hair color
- Brush and comb
- Hairspray and Hair gel
- Manicure kit including files, clippers and mini-scissors
- Clear nail polish
- Extra tights
- Deodorant / body spray
- PHONE CHARGER
- Homework / book (for long days)
- Performance Needs
- Performance jazz and/or lyrical shoes
- TAN hi-cut thong performance underwear.
- Rehearsal/extra jazz or lyrical shoes
- Warm-Ups (sweatpants, sweatshirt, fuzzy socks, dance slippers)
- Rehearsal dance gear (black leotard / tank top and black leggings)
Dancers and families are expected to always conduct themselves in a respectful and professional manner representative of the amazing, well-trained dance artists that they are.
Backstage and Onstage:
- Absolutely no talking ever while backstage
- Be still, quiet, and thoughtful while waiting for your turn in the wings. Do not goof off or play.
- Say hello and thank you to theater staff
- Say hello, good job and love your costume to fellow dancers.
- NEVER judge, comment, or talk negatively about other dancers.
In The Dressing Room:
- Keep your area organized and neat, do not spread out and take up too much space.
- Do not change in the bathroom, private dressing areas are unlikely to be available, so be prepared to change in the dressing room.
- Tell a teacher if you leave the area.
- Keep your emotions about your performance positive – we worked hard, and it will show!
In the Audience:
- Absolutely no talking while in the audience.
- Turn phones off or on silent. Using a phone in the audience will distract fellow audience members with the glowing light, block the view and poses a danger to the dancers on stage with distracting lights.
- Be aware of your surroundings and your fellow audience members, be respectful. Your dancer may not be performing, but the person next to you dancer may be. They want to enjoy their dancer’s performance!
- CHEER AND CLAP for Music in Motion as dancers walk onto stage and at the end of their dance!
- Clap or cheer during a particularly special or challenging part of a dance but keep cheering and clapping WHILE a dancer is performing to a minimum.
- Only enter and exit the theater at intermission or the beginning or end of a concert. Never walk to a seat or leave a seat if a dancer or group is on stage. If you must leave the theatre during the concert, wait until between dances.
Music in Motion has charged a per dancer “Opt-In” fee that will go towards ensuring a smooth and memorable recital for our families and students. An easy explanation is that monthly tuition covers classes – whereas the recital fee covers the additional cost of staffing for Dress Rehearsal and Show Day as well as technical and back-stage needs.
1 Class: $50
Additional Classes: $30 each.
Recital Fee Perks for Holiday Showcase Participants:
By offering costume rentals, we're alleviating financial burdens for families, making the holiday season more accessible and inclusive. This cost-effective approach ensures that every performer can shine on stage without worrying about the expenses associated with purchasing elaborate costumes. Moreover, our costume rental program is a sustainable choice, reducing the environmental impact of single-use costumes and promoting the reuse of materials. Together, we're creating a festive and eco-friendly celebration that embodies the spirit of community and responsible stewardship.
2 Tickets for Family
We are delighted to announce that the recital fee for participation in our Holiday Showcase at Music in Motion automatically includes two complimentary tickets, ensuring family admission to this festive event. Families will receive paper tickets in an envelope starting on 11/27. Tickets for any remaining seats will go on sale on Friday 12/1, allowing your loved ones to join in the celebration of our performers' talents. This automatic inclusion of family tickets reflects our commitment to making this experience memorable and accessible for all participating families.
Now that we have 1 Holiday Showcase under our belts, Holiday Showcase will be automatic opt-in for all students registering in 2024. Recital Fees will be charged on 10/15/24 and an opt-out form will be available.
For the upcoming winter dance showcase, participants will have the opportunity to showcase their talents adorned in carefully selected costumes, all of which are available for rental. The cost of participation encompasses not only the rental fee but also includes the responsibility of caring for and cleaning the costumes upon their return. It's important to note that these costumes are not custom-made but rather chosen as a "best fit" for each dance group, ensuring a cohesive and visually appealing presentation. Some costumes may serve as accessories, offering flexibility and creativity in dance ensembles. This approach allows dancers to express themselves through movement while maintaining a unified aesthetic for the winter dance showcase.
- Costumes will be distributed to dancers to take home in classes the week of December 11th to 15th.
- Hang and store your costumes immediately (away from the prying eyes and hands of friends and siblings).
- DO NOT WEAR them on any occasion other than the dress rehearsal and concert dates.
- Patrons are responsible for damages to costumes once they are in your possession. Many of the costumes we use are no longer in production and cannot be replaced. Replacement / damage fee is $40 per costume.
- NOTE: Costumes are not “custom” and may not fit perfectly to your dancer. Our goal is unity as a class in costuming for a fun and comfortable experience for all dancers.
- Costumes will be given to dancers in a plastic storage bag with your student’s name on it.
- We will have a costume return table in the main large dressing room for dancers to return their costume sets prior to leaving the show. Dancers who arrive in costume can bring an outfit to wear afterwards to change and return their costume.
- Additional Return Dates: Friday 12/22, Wednesday 1/3 to Friday 1/12 (drop off when you return to class in the New Year).
Late Return Fee: Costumes returned after the due date of Friday 1/12 will be charged an additional $25.
All students should plan to arrive at the show with their hair and make-up already completed. All dancers should bring/use their own hair and make- up items.
General Hair and Make-up rules:
- No non-natural colors (such as glitter, blue or purple)
- For a slick, professional hair look – brush GEL through WET hair prior to pulling hair back into a ponytail.
- Use only a natural hair color elastic to secure hair. Use natural hair color bobby pins to secure fly-aways.
- Use hairspray to secure and slick down hair once it is in its pony or bun.
Make up for this group is pink blush, natural eyeshadow, mascara (if they will let you!), and pink lipstick. Hair can be in a Pony-tail or bun. If you prefer no make-up, that is fine as well! “Stage” make-up is considered a prop, like part of your costume. But we also welcome young children’s natural beauty to shine through at this informal event.
Elementary School Students:
Make-up for this group is foundation, blush, grey or brown eyeshadow, mascara, and dark pink or red lipstick. All Ballet Students wear a bun and all other classes wear a ponytail. If you prefer no make-up, that is fine as well! “Stage” make-up is considered a prop, like part of your costume. But we also welcome young children’s natural beauty to shine through at this informal event.
Middle & High School Students:
Make up for this group is foundation, blush, grey or brown eyeshadow, mascara, eyeliner, and dark pink or red lipstick. All Senior Level dances will wear a bun.
Bows and cuffs are attached to the TOP or FRONT of buns or ponytails. Clips and Appliques are attached on the RIGHT side of the head. “Right is Right”
Music in Motion will be offering specially branded make-up kits for dancers & families to purchase with all recommended items in time for the big June recital!
Make your dancer's experience even more unforgettable with our exclusive commemorative holiday recital merchandise. The air is charged with excitement as you explore the dazzling array of keepsakes, each designed to capture the enchantment of the performance. These treasures will become cherished mementos, preserving the joy and splendor of the Winter Dance Showcase for years to come. Elevate the magic of the moment and take home a piece of the performance, allowing the spirit of the showcase to dance on long after the final curtain falls.
Recital Stuffed Animals: $18
Tye-Die Teddy Bear with Music in Motion T-Shirt
Ballet Bunny with Purple Tutu and Music in Motion T-Shirt
Ballet-Cat Squishmallow: $25 (only 50 available!)
Cat with Purple Tutu and Music in Motion logo on it’s belly. Perfectly cuddly and SQUISH-able!
3 Rose Celebration Bouquet: $15
3-Rose Bouquet with baby’s breath.
In the afterglow of a breathtaking concert, there exists a timeless tradition that adds a touch of elegance and heartfelt appreciation – the purchase of roses for the performers.
Music in Motion Dance Studio Ornament: $9
Fuschia/Purple Ball Ornament with Silver Glitter MIM Logo on the Face.
Holiday Showcase Commemorative T-Shirt: $15
Holiday Blue T-Shirt with Snowflake Soiree Logo, Location and Date
Join Our Mailing List
Thanks for subscribing! Please check your email to confirm your subscription. We look forward to getting to know your family!
-Music in Motion